Jumpy tuning pins/ was: Hallet Davis prep

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:21:29 EST

Patrick,

These are made by Pearl River.  Overall, they are far better than the
Samicks I've seen coming out of China.  They are not the worst new pianos
I've worked on. The hammers tend to be really soft.  Some of the newer ones
seem to be finding a happy medium "between a rock and a soft place".

I've done a couple that came in as dealer "deals" where there were several
different sizes of tuning pins, and major string jumping.  And the amount of
lost motion suggested that there was a fair amount of green wood used in
assembling the piano.

Is there a remedy for a piano where just about every tuning pin is jumpy?
Does time cure this?

Dave Stahl