Moving Damper Guide Rails

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:17:40 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> > Given all that.... do you "put" the Steinway name and decal back the way you
> > found it ? Not that I object to basically totally re-designing the
> > instrument.... but if you do.... how do you justify calling it a Steinway ?....
> > It's easily as much a Trout by then eh ?
>
> I thought we just went through all that a while back?
>
> A 1970 Ford Mustang that has TRW 12:1 pistons, a stroked crank, a Wieand hi-rise aluminum manifold, a Holley 850 cfm double pumper dual feed carburetor, Hooker headers, Muncie wide ratio transmission, balanced driveshaft, 4.88 rear end gears, etc., etc., etc. is still a Ford Mustang.

Well, that might be.... and it might not... depending on your viewpoint. What is a VW bus with a Corvette engine then ? And what is it if you in addition pull out the stock front suspension and put some other makes in ??

We may have gone through all this in the past... but its a long way from resolved. I have a big problem accepting an instrument that does not have a Steinway scale, and does not employ a compression board as a Steinway myself. Thats not what Steinways make, and such a piano will not represent the Steinway sound.

> I think the only time we need consider a need for changing the name on a rewhatevered object is if it goes into full-scale remanufacturing to a set design and available at some level of large scale. Perhaps like the Shelby Mustang. Obviously there is some grey area there. And yes, if one were selling a significantly modified thingee, I feel it would be appropriate to tell of the modifications - but if it had a manufacturers sticker on it before, I think generally it is A-ok to put the sticker back.

Like you say... there is a grey area. What I dont understand about all this is the hesitancy of some rebuilders to take full credit for their modifications.

> Even Andre Bolduc who says not to change a thing - doesn't he cut a curve into his soundboard ribs? Gee wizz, isn't that kinda like playing God?

I dont know what Andre does or doesnt.... but I do know that just because a thing looks like a Mustang.... or a Steinway.... at first glance.... doenst mean that thats what the beast really is.

> IMHO, all this is much ado about nothing.
>
> Terry Farrell

NIMV

RicB

--