Keytop Replacement

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:36:15 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bigeartb@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 8:50 PM
  Subject: Keytop Replacement

  List:
       Tell me the tricks of replacing old keytops with molded keytops =
with fronts. Whats the best way to make the tops fit the keys and what =
glue is perferred. I have been 'shaving' the old tops off with my 10" =
table saw.....contact cement....and filing the tops to the key. I hate =
the filing. Is there a better trick?

  Tommy Black
  Decatur, Ala.=20

  Try PVC-E glue and try to keep part of the keytop aligned with one of =
the key stick edges.  This helps us keep the trimming to a minimum.  =
Some sanding with a 1" belt sander can be done.  We still file the rest.

  Paul Chick