Keytop replacement

John Pasterczyk jp@southbaypiano.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:42:03 -0800 (PST)

Tommy,

If you hate filing...The March, May and June '91
editions of the PTG Journal have articles (including
plans for jigs) by Bill Spurlock for this very
thing...I have just this year built the jigs and must
say I am very pleased with the results after
completing 2 sets (of Keytops)  There is minimal
filing involved...just cleanup and edge rounding if
you take to much of the "pre-rounded" edge off.  The
bulk of the filing (including notches) is accomplished
using a router...The initial "filing" is done with a
laminate trimming router bit, then using one of the
jigs the keytop is fed through the router in such a
way that the notch comes out square, and exactly where
you want it for every key...after completing 2 sets I
am very pleased with the results.

John Pasterczyk
Associate Member, PTG