What is a Boston? <was Boston and Yamaha opinions wanted>

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:37:17 -0500 (EST)

From: "Robert Goodale" <rrg@unlv.edu>
> [Steinway] can dramatically improve the visual aesthetics of the
> plate, introduce models polyester finishes, significantly upgrade the
> brass hardware, give the case a much = bolder and proud look, even
> upgrade the fall board decal.  Physical = aesthetic changes alone
> would go a long way.

In terms of aesthetics, I have seen examples of where they have done just
that. I recently visited the relatively new HUGE Steinway showroom out on
Long Island (they hosted our chapter meeting once). They had a small grand
with a traditional furniture design but with a modern artsy looking finish
(with gray and black and a very busy irregular pattern). The salesman said
the reaction has been that people either hate it or love it.

They also had a grand with a modern furniture design.  Basically
everything was different on it, and really interesting. One especially
noticeable thing was the lid hinges. They were some sort of fancy hinge
that operated inside the piano, and when you opened the lid, the left edge
came IN towards the piano slightly. It looked like if the piano started
out pressed up against the wall on its left edge, you could raise the lid
and the left edge of the lid would not scrape against the wall. I'm not
sure if it was intended for that purpose. But it was pretty cool looking,
and it looked like it might be a strong hinge as well.

I don't know if these new ideas are in their catalogs or not, but I
imagine if they sold one of them, they'd make another, and if they sold
that, they'd make yet another... If customers want new things, I'm sure
they will continue to make new things.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island