Soundboard Size Perspective

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:55:11 -0500 (EST)

From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
> At times, the question arises of how much bigger is a grand than an =
> upright. The attached photo provides some perspective. I thought it =
> might be of interest to some.

That's interesting.

My 50" M&H upright blows away most grands under 6', especially in the
bass. I don't know if it's soundboard area, bass string length, or overall
scale design, but my upright has a big fat sound. Not tubby. And a rich
singing treble.

And a properly regulated Renner upright action ain't so shabby either. I
don't know why people prefer cheap grands to high-end uprights.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island