Steinway Bashing........

Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:58:34 +0100

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> Most who know me, know that I don't sing the praises of S&S, as a
> technician. However, as a long time musician, I do. The one thing that
> Steinway can do, that no other can, IMHO, is "cut through the mix"! In the
> words of musicians of another era: It has "Balls"! (I hope I'm not offending
> anyone with this term. None intended. <G>)

Yes.... I aggree, the sound is carried across a room and through the sound of
other instruments better then any other piano around. Tho some deny that, I have
seen demonstrations myself that I cannot find a way to refute, have heard this
observation so many times by so many people that I choose to align myself on the
side of those who accept this as fact. Indeed.... Steinways whole reputation
seems built to no small degree on the ability of a Steinway to fill a hall.

Attacks on this characteristic of Steinways seems to largely fall into two
catagories.... Denial, and riducule. i.e. either it doesnt exist... or there is
no need for it to exist. I heard a similar comment the other day by a European
historical instruments rebuilder.... His was that no instrument needed more then
roughly half the sustain that modern instruments have... because no music
requires such sustain... Personally... I just gotta scratch my head at such
blantantly obvious..... "personal tastes" argurementations.

> Yes, I wish they would up-grade the way they make soundboards. Yes, I wish
> they'd get their hammers so they produce the "sound" of The Steinway and
> quit trying to compete with the clanky hammers of other manufacturers. Yes,
> I wish they'd upgrade their quality control. Yes, I wish they'd offer some
> options in case designs, etc. Yes, I wish they'd put the Sostenuto mecanism
> where it belongs.
> BUT, the fact remains, the Steinway gots "Balls"! (and for the most part,
> that's a good thing!)

And perhaps.... just perhaps.... the Steinway has got "Balls" largely because
they do things they way they do. Maybe there is something to this carry power
thing after all ..... just maybe

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.