Steinway bashing, cont.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:46:05 -0800 (PST)

--- Robert Goodale <rrg@unlv.edu> wrote:
 someday all the marketing in the world
> isn't going to change the reality that they are
> antique reproductions.

Yes, and not particularly wonderful ones, either!
I recently had the pleasure of playing some new
Petrofs. WOW! The under-6-foot grand I tried
demolished the new "S&S" B's at the University, in
every department!!!!!
     And, speaking of "departments": when I called
Steinway in New York recently to ask a simple parts
availability question, I was "greeted" with such
asinine, theatrical, practiced, almost burlesqued
snootiness ( like I should feel truly blessed for the
terrific honor of having "Schteinvay" on the line!
)that I felt all icky afterwards.
     Like I needed a shower!
     "Thurston Howell III" would have been more
personable!

     Who are these folks kidding? Obviously only
themselves if they think that they can produce a piano
that is a shadow of its former welf, and charge a
premium for it, and stay in business!!!
     Respectfully,
     Thump

P.S. Please don't forget the $100 that Steinway paid
college girls at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair to rush
the stage and rip at Paderewskis' hair and clothing
( according to the "Piano Wars" article in American
Heritage in the 1960's ). Mason would NEVER have
stooped to such shenanigans!!!!!!!
     We don't NECESSARILY hate Steinway. We only
lament that they are not giving us much to be proud
of, anymore, like MOST industries in America!