What is a Boston? <was Boston and Yamaha opinions wanted>

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:15:53 -0500

It almost sounds to me that you want to see Steinway become a Japanese piano. Everyone is going to have a differing opinion on all the points you raise.

"By all means they can continue to use the same stringing scale"

Why not improve it utilizing computers and all we have learned over the past 100 years?

".....the same action geometry....."

And that is.... I think this is one of their problems. They don't have any set action geometry. The aspects of the action geometry depend on the pinblock installation, etc. IMHO, they should fix this.

".....and the same soundboard design...."

Yikes! This is where we keep beating them up! IMHO they should utilize some of which we have learned in the past 100 years.

"....action design was overhauled with aluminum rails..."

Don't know that this would be an improvement. Wood or aluminum -but make up your mind S&S. Wood AND metal? I've never understood that one.

"....ABS components..."

Sure, why not? Why is it that I have had to glue numerous Steinway jack tenders over the last few years, and no others?

"They can put the sostanuto inside the piano where it belongs."

Here we have found common ground. Do it NOW!

"....improve the visual aesthetics of the plate..."

Modern is not always better. I like the looks of their plates.

"....introduce models polyester finishes...."

Polyester has its place on cheap boats. Why on earth would anyone want a plastic piano? (IMHO!)

"...significantly upgrade the brass hardware, give the case a much bolder and proud look, even upgrade the fall board decal..."

I like a traditional look.

My point in much of the above is not to suggest you or I am right or wrong. It's gotta really be hard for a company to consider toying with success. You will always have different opinions. I think they should keep the classic looks, and simply improve some of the poor design aspects.

Terry Farrell