What is a Boston? <was Boston and Yamaha opinions wanted>

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:46:49 -0800

Steinway stands today as very impressive piano.  Their product is a =
monument of how far ahead they once were.  I would take the position =
however that Steinway is capable of doing much better.  Calling =
themselves "the worlds best piano" is a considerable stretch given the =
other options on the market today.  I see no reason why Steinway can not =
preserve the basic elements of their current product and advance as =
well.  By all means they can continue to use the same stringing scale, =
the same action geometry, and the same soundboard design as they do =
today, that is a complement.  The product would become vastly more up to =
date however if the action design was overhauled with aluminum rails and =
ABS components as their competitors did years ago.  They can put the =
sostanuto inside the piano where it belongs.  They can dramatically =
improve the visual aesthetics of the plate, introduce models polyester =
finishes, significantly upgrade the brass hardware, give the case a much =
bolder and proud look, even upgrade the fall board decal.  Physical =
aesthetic changes alone would go a long way.  The instrument would still =
sound and perform as before making the long-time fans very happy.  =
Meanwhile the sales people on the showroom floor will actually have =
something new to say while the buyer considers their competitors =
products.  Steinway produces a fine piano but it can be far better.  =
They owe it to themselves to bring the product up to the next level... =
just like their founders did.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  ... I have to wonder just what Steinway could possibly do to please =
some of these folks. Some just plain want to bash the big guy on the =
block, some would like to Steinway build instruments differently, and =
some just plain have interests that put them in a competitive position =
to Steinway. And of course... mixed in with all this is some =
constructive pressure to just plain improve their basic quality.=20
  But in the end... I wonder what is eventually going to come out of it =
all. I suppose time will tell. And lets hope it doesnt go the way of =
Baldwin... and those that went before.=20

  RicB=20