What is a Boston? <was Boston and Yamaha opinions wanted>

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:08:12 -0800

That's how companies improve their product.  The masses say "hey, time =
to move on to a better product  We're no going to buy that brand =
anymore."  So the manufacturer says "hey, we need to upgrade our product =
to stay in the game", and thus innovation and enterprise move forward.  =
Can you visualize NEW 1960's vintage televisions and stereo equipment in =
stores because RCA sunk every bit of their R&D capital into marketing =
instead?  Can you imagine what it would be like if Ford continued to =
produce the 1970s Maverick today because they insisted that it was a =
superior product?  Unfortunately the American auto industry did just =
that for many years while Japanese companies poured far better and =
efficient cars onto the market.  It took them YEARS to figure out that =
times had changed.  It was almost fatal as their stocks plummeted and =
Chrysler was forced into bankruptcy.  To prop up their product line they =
were forced to buy imported vehicles and put their own names on them, =
(remember the Chevy "Luv" and the Ford "Fiesta"?)  You know, kind of =
like uh... Boston.  Of course this isn't a new concept.  The Chevy S-10 =
and Mitsubishi's pick-up are the same vehicle with a different grill and =
dashboard and come from the same factory in Shreveport Louisiana.  =
Likewise Baldwin bought the Wurlitzer name and perpetuated it by =
commissioning Samick to build pianos that say "Wurlitzer" on them.  A =
simple matter of economics.  On the flip side however the REAL =
competitors are the ones who continue to develop their product.  Kawai =
doesn't make the KG-2 anymore.  Yamaha doesn't make the G-3 anymore.  =
They realized that the time for these pianos had come and gone and it =
was time to move on.

Thus we come to your comment  "how long it will be until our communal =
efforts will finally and fatally injure the reputation of Steinway with =
the resultant demise of yet another of Americas remaining piano =
manufacturing companies."   Continuing to say that Steinway's pianos are =
superior in order to "protect" them isn't the answer.  Sooner or later- =
maybe not tomorrow, maybe not for many more years, but certainly someday =
all the marketing in the world isn't going to change the reality that =
they are antique reproductions.  Again no disrespect to Steinway, but =
there is a reality here.  How many more years will dealer sales people =
have to give the speech about how Steinways are an "investment" and will =
be worth more in five years from now because the cost of their =
production continues to go up without regard to wear, tear, and =
depreciation? (I would love to hear an economics professor analyze that =
argument sometime).  While there may be some limited truth to that, how =
many more years will it be before Steinway says, "hey, if Henry Steinway =
was alive today what would he do?"=20

Well the original topic of Boston pianos has now LONG been lost in this =
tangent.  Just something to think about.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  From: Richard Brekne=20
   story Robert. While I suppose to some degree most of us tend to =
aggree in part at least with your sentiments... I have to wonder how =
long it will be before our communal efforts will finally and fatally =
injure the reputation of Steinway with the resultant demise of yet =
another of Americas remaining piano manufacturing companies.=20
  But I did enjoy your story :)=20

  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20