Touch Weight

Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:50:13 +0100

"Paul Chick (EarthLink)" wrote:

> Members
> A client asked me to "redo" the action in a Mason & Hamlin A.  It was worked
> on when the piano was restrung but nothing was replaced.  The client wants a
> heavier touch. With the old parts it weighs off at 41grams down and 20 grams
> up on average from A0-C8.  New Renner wips, shanks with flanges, and hammers
> bring it up to 46grams down and 25 grams up on sample keys. Removing the key
> lead closest to the balance rail brings it up to 52 grams down 30 grams up
> with a little less in the last 1&1/2 octaves on sample notes.

You are going from a 35.5 BW to a 41 BW with this move... things are going to be
"heavier" per say... despite the relatively low friction. However, if removeing
the front lead on each and every key gives you exactly this same result I would
be mildly supprised.

> Not being a
> student of Touch Weight Metrology and rarely running into specific touch
> weight change requests, I'm wondering if these weights will yield an
> acceptable feel to the action.

An "acceptable" feel can be a lot of things to a lot of people. Really it would
be nice to know more to advise you better. How much weight in terms of strike
weight is this action lifting, how even is that weight from note to note, what
kind of leverage is lifting that weight ?

Without knowing these things we are kind of shooting in the dark IMHO.

> BTW the friction and action have been
> regulated. Key bushings are new-nice feel.  The sample notes feel responsive
> with only a hint of increased weight. I'm just a little unsure due to lack
> of experience.
>
> Paul Chick
> _

If you have some time on this job, it might be a good time to familiarize
yourself with some basic Touchweight principles.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne