Touch Weight

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:22:47 -0600

Members
A client asked me to "redo" the action in a Mason & Hamlin A.  It was worked
on when the piano was restrung but nothing was replaced.  The client wants a
heavier touch. With the old parts it weighs off at 41grams down and 20 grams
up on average from A0-C8.  New Renner wips, shanks with flanges, and hammers
bring it up to 46grams down and 25 grams up on sample keys. Removing the key
lead closest to the balance rail brings it up to 52 grams down 30 grams up
with a little less in the last 1&1/2 octaves on sample notes.  Not being a
student of Touch Weight Metrology and rarely running into specific touch
weight change requests, I'm wondering if these weights will yield an
acceptable feel to the action. BTW the friction and action have been
regulated. Key bushings are new-nice feel.  The sample notes feel responsive
with only a hint of increased weight. I'm just a little unsure due to lack
of experience.

Paul Chick