Green Stuff

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:23:46 -0500

George,

I've seen some spinet which had some kind of foam instead of felt for the
hammer spring rail and hammer rail in some cases. This foam was originally
green but with time it just breaks up and could have created the condition
you have seen. The foam become like dust only where the damper wire touch it
and under the hammer shanks. Check it out again.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of TysonPiano@aol.com
  Sent: 17 fevrier, 2003 23:57
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Green Stuff

  List,

         I recently discovered a green powder spread across the back of the
keys on a Winter and Co. spinet.  Much of the powder had fallen between the
keys and onto the keybed.  While carefully cleaning this powder, I began to
taste copper, just from a small amount of airborne dust.  Paris Green sounds
right.  Thanks to this thread I knew what to look for on the Internet.  It's
a copper based poison with arsenic.  I refused to work further on that
piano.

  George