flood at the restaurant

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:10:31 EST

Three weeks ago there was a small flood at the restaurant where I play (and
tune) the Samick grand.  The water was only a few inches deep but with the
carpeting it created a very humid environment.  This happened once before,
knocking the tuning out, and surprisingly, when things dried out, the tuning
went back to, well, acceptable.

This time in addition to the tuning going south, there are a lot of double
striking hammers.  This is not going away.  Something changed and stayed
changed.  I tune it next week and I need to remedy this, but I'm wondering,
what changed?  Not being as proficient at grand regulation as I am in
vertical, can anyone steer me in the right direction?  Looking through the
strings while I play, it looks like some of the hammers are not letting off.
(This certainly could create double strikes.)  The piano was out of
regulation before the flood, but I don't know if that was happening before,
therefore I don't know if that's causing the problem this time.  I don't have
the time (nor will they pay for) a complete regulation of the piano.   I
could move the backchecks forward, but can anyone suggest a scenario that
would result in double striking of hammers from exposure to high humidity?  I
mean, why would the backchecks move or change?

Just fishing...

Tom S