Green Stuff

Bill Maxim wmaxim@sc.rr.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 06:30:50 -0500

List,

In my high school "Problems of Democracy" class, I was told that before =
the advent of the Food and Drug laws, canning companies were adding =
paris green to canned peas to make them look fresh.  So much for longing =
for the "good old days!"

Here's what I found in a Google search:  Paris green,  also called =
Schweinfurt green, an extremely poisonous, bright green powder that was =
formerly used extensively as a pigment (e.g., in wallpaper) and that is =
sometimes used as an insecticide or to kill plant fungi; it must be used =
with great caution because of its poisonous nature. Chemically it is a =
copper acetoarsenite that may be prepared from arsenic trioxide and =
copper acetate.  (Columbia encyclopedia, 6th edition, 2002)

Bill Maxim
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: TysonPiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 11:57 PM
  Subject: Re: Green Stuff

  List,

         I recently discovered a green powder spread across the back of =
the keys on a Winter and Co. spinet.  Much of the powder had fallen =
between the keys and onto the keybed.  While carefully cleaning this =
powder, I began to taste copper, just from a small amount of airborne =
dust.  Paris Green sounds right.  Thanks to this thread I knew what to =
look for on the Internet.  It's a copper based poison with arsenic.  I =
refused to work further on that piano.

  George