How to fix a broken bottom board on an upright?

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:32:08 +0200

Hi, it may have been added to help termination on the point of contact. You
could loosen the strings and take it out, tune again and see if it makes any
tonal difference or put a new piece in. I've tuned pianos with a much courser
bridge without such, goes with quality of piano. Or go to town and reshape the
bridge, nah, perhaps not.

There are 3 ways, 1. Use CA glue, 2. ideally a new block, or 3. plugging the
existing holes - its your toy, have fun and play.

and don't sue me if it goes wrong

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grant T. Riethmuller" <grieth@ozemail.com.au>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 7:19 AM
Subject: FW: How to fix a broken bottom board on an upright?

Brian,

The pinblock issue is my next one.  The pins are holding - at least in the
three weeks since I pulled it up to pitch, except for the one I repaired
(you can see the end of the sandpaper).

I am perplexed about the piece of tuning wire on the plate bridge - any
ideas why it would be there?

Any tips on the tuning pins - I was just going to leave them alone while
they hold?

Regards

Grant

PS - This is the first piano I have worked on, so I didn't want to spend too
much untill I gained a little experience - things always sound easy when you
only read about them.

---