How to fix a broken bottom board on an upright?

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 07:47:46 -0700

Hi Grant,
Are you sure this is worth the effort?!
My choice would be the land fill, but if the repair was disparately needed,
and the cracks were large enough, I would use "Gorilla" glue. It is thicker
than "Tight Bond" but can be applyed with a thin steel or wire. The glue
will expand into the voids and clamping is an option, The glue dries to a
sort of plastic and the excess that oozes out may be chipped off with  a
screw driver,  chisel or other sharp tool.
I believe there is a reason for the name of the glue other than it's holding
power. When you are finished, unless you use gloves, your hands will look
like a gorilla's.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: <grieth@ozemail.com.au>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 4:18 AM
Subject: How to fix a broken bottom board on an upright?

> I am restoring an upright and have a cabinet issue.
>
> The back right wheel came broken off, and it seems that the front right
wheel was forced up breaking the bottom timber. I suspect that I am not the
first to attempt repair.  I have photos up at

> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_left.jpg
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_right.jpg
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_right_inside.jpg
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_right_inside2.jpg
>
> I am thinking of a 5mm steel plate on the bottom (under the piano on the
left side to screw up into the intact bottom and the broken piece), but
wondering if I should just run a couple of timbers round the inside and
screw down into the bottom timber, and accross into the side and back. Maybe
both?