How to fix a broken bottom board on an upright?

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:27:50 +0200

Hi, Cant' actually see any damage in those photos, perhaps draw & indicate
with some chalk and take a photo again.  On your pinblock you seem to have
more a problem with bottom row of pins pulling out.

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: <grieth@ozemail.com.au>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 1:18 PM
Subject: How to fix a broken bottom board on an upright?

I am restoring an upright and have a cabinet issue.

The back right wheel came broken off, and it seems that the front right wheel
was forced up breaking the bottom timber. I suspect that I am not the first to
attempt repair.  I have photos up at

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_left.jpg
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_right.jpg
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_right_inside.jpg
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_right_inside2.jpg

I am thinking of a 5mm steel plate on the bottom (under the piano on the left
side to screw up into the intact bottom and the broken piece), but wondering
if I should just run a couple of timbers round the inside and screw down into
the bottom timber, and accross into the side and back. Maybe both?

I would appreciate some suggestions.

Regards

Grant