How to fix a broken bottom board on an upright?

grieth@ozemail.com.au grieth@ozemail.com.au
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:18:52 +1100

I am restoring an upright and have a cabinet issue.

The back right wheel came broken off, and it seems that the front right wheel was forced up breaking the bottom timber. I suspect that I am not the first to attempt repair.  I have photos up at

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_left.jpg
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_right.jpg
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_right_inside.jpg
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~grieth/piano/bottom_right_inside2.jpg

I am thinking of a 5mm steel plate on the bottom (under the piano on the left side to screw up into the intact bottom and the broken piece), but wondering if I should just run a couple of timbers round the inside and screw down into the bottom timber, and accross into the side and back. Maybe both?

I would appreciate some suggestions.

Regards

Grant