Question re Steinway for the list

T&D Eaton t.eaton@bmts.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:51:12 -0500

I have 2 Steinway questions that have been puzzling me.

1. I have seen some Steinway grands with pedals that stick up about =
fifteen to twenty degrees above horizontal. I dismantled one to make =
sure it hadn't been bent and confirmed that the pedal itself was =
straight.
Is this intentional on Steinway's part? Does it make the pedal seem =
stiffer to play?

2. The Steinway manual shows a black and white photo of a method of =
measuring key height to the underside of the key covering. The book =
specifies measuring from the keybed, however it appears that the =
measuring block is sitting on the bed where the keyslip sits. This is =
about 1/8" lower than the keybed. Am I to assume that the intention is =
to measure from the keyslip part of the bed?

from Tim - tuning to stay warm in Canada

 =20