Question re Steinway for the list

kam544 kam544@gbronline.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:32:52 -0600

>... pedals that stick up about fifteen to twenty degrees above
>horizontal..Does it make the pedal seem stiffer to play?     ...
>from Tim ... Canada

Tim,

Now that you mention it. Yes, I've noticed what you describe. It
certainly seems that the foot/ankle/leg would tire moreso as a result
of that angle. However, I am looking at a Steinway & Sons Grand Piano
Cross Section dated from 1987, and the angle of the pedals from the
pivot point out to the foot is definitely upward while the rest of
the pedal backwards and inside the lyre is level.

>2. The Steinway manual shows a black and white photo of a method of
>measuring key height to the underside of the key covering.

That picture is a little vague, isn't it?.

>The book specifies measuring from the keybed, however it appears
>that the measuring block is sitting on the bed where the keyslip
>sits. This is about 1/8" lower than the keybed. Am I to assume that
>the intention is to measure from the keyslip part of the bed?

To me both places you reference are one in the same, that is, a
keybed. I don't have a Steinway handy at the moment, but I looked at
the Knabe I have and the keyframe extends beyond that tiny lip which
you are calling the keybed with the keyblocks in place, so it would
not be feasible to use it as a reference.

Therefore, in this instance I would have to qualify the location
where the keyslip resides as the keybed measuring place.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild