Whole house humidification - Bad idea?

Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:49:51 +0100

My understanding is that this is a major type problem whenever the outside RH is
greatly different then inside RH.  One standard way of dealing with this from a
building point of view... is to keep the inside humidity dry. Keep drying things
out and you dont get fungi problems, rot, or other such related issues.

Problem is that its not quite as simple as that. If you have lots of computers or
electronics in a building for example... overly dry air creates a big problem
relating to static electricity. Overly dry air is not particularily good for skin,
lungs, eyes etc.

Generally speaking...keeping RH at a minumum of 33 - 35 and at a maximum of  65 -
70 is very doable without sacrificing building concerns. One can aslo use
temperature variations to some degree to assist effort.

Thats sort of why I asked the question the other day... just how stable a room
environment is neccessary to surpass and optimally configured DC system in
effectivity.

Cheers

RicB

--