Strings 'n Things

Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:04:53 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Goodale=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 11, 2003 11:49 AM
  Subject: Strings 'n Things

  I would be interested in hearing some opinions on tone variances =
between Mapes and Roslau wire.  I have used both.  Other than origin and =
color what noticable differences have some of you noticed in tone =
quality?  I'm not certain how this could be verified without stringing =
two identical pianos with each type of wire and then placing them side =
by side.  Has anyone noticed any defined brightness, fullness, or =
particular partial emphasis or suppressions between them?  If so which =
seems to closer resemble the tone quality of strings originally used in =
1920s-ish pianos?

  Just wondering, seems like a good topic for discussion.

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV

As I've mentioned before on this list, some years back I did have the =
opportunity to run a fair number of identical pianos using both Mapes =
and Roslau wire. No one was able to discern any difference aurally nor =
were we able to measure any difference with the spectrum analyzer.

Del