Rebuilt Steinway

Armond armond@snip.net
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 00:31:58 -0500

on 2/9/03 11:48 PM, Deb Rodgers at debarodgers@hotmail.com wrote:

> I posted an earlier messaage and it appears that I did not give enough
> information regarding a rebuilt 1927 Steinway M piano that I purchased in
> 2001. It was rebuilt by a certified Steinway technition in Delaware.  I
> believe that everything was replaced but the soundboard.  The reason that
> the soundboard was not replaced was because the salesman advised me that he
> felt the soundboard was in good condition and did not need to be replaced.
> Nine months later I noticed several cracks in the soundboard and I heard
> very loud buzzing when the piano was played.  After speaking with the dealer
> they agreed to replace the soundboard with a new one for an additional cost
> of 3,000.00.  I received the piano with new soundboard in August 2002.  Two
> weeks ago I noticed that there is a separation in the new soundboard.  The
> crack is located in a different place than the one I noticed a year earlier.
> And there is no buzzing sound. The piano also does not stay in tune for very
> long even though it is not played that much.   Another factor is that the
> treble does not put forth as much sound as the mid and lower registers. I
> don't know if this is related to the soundboard.  I live in Penna.  The
> piano is not located in direct sunlight nor is it close to a direct heat
> source.  However the room can get warm in the winter.  It does not have a
> damp chaser system.  I was under the impression that Steinway does not
> recommend them.  I am planning to call the dealer again but I wanted to get
> some advice before I called them.  I am very disappointed with the
> performance of this instrument.  I purposefully tried to pick a reputable
> dealer and a quality instrument.  The total cost spent for this piano is
> 26,000.00.   Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.
>
> Deb Rodgers

Deb, let's just call Steinway in NY.  This is alot of money.  I can tell you
that there is no way to replace a soundboard and then restring the
instrument for $3000.  I would say that job alone would be about
$12-$15,000.  We need to call Steinway and that's it for now.  i do not know
where Penna is, I know where Delaware is of course.  I'm new to the Voorhess
Cherry Hill area.  I would ask Steinway to send someone there from NY.  They
send technicians out in the field all over the country. i know this is
upsetting for you, try to put your aorry's aside and call Steinway.  The
last # in file I have on them is 718-721-2600, Steinway Place, Long Island
City, NY 11105.  If there is anything wrong here with the company you dealt
with, there will be an achievable legal settlement.