D.C. troubling finding

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 19:18:53

Hi Terry,

In Regina that would amount to 8 watts per hour for the humidity rod and 50
watts to 60 watts for the dehumidifier rods. If we assume 24 hours at the
highest number thats 1440 watts. Cost for electricity currently is $0.10
cents Canadian. This allows the client to save 3 out of 4 tunings in a
year. A bargan I'd say--no matter what the tuning price.

When DC systems were originally designed the cost factor of having a "null"
point was extremely prohibitive. The unit was a standard mass produced
"honeywell" controller.

There is another factor to be considered as well. The temperature inside
the piano might well vary much more with a unit that had a "null" setting
causing more instability in pitch.

The existing systems with bottom covers and back covers work so well that
even in an extreme climate like Regina pitch variation over a one year
period is 2 cents or less on any note--unless the piano is being "over"
used i.e. 6 to 8 hours of hard playing a day.

I don't see the constant "on" setting as a detriment, but as a factor in
making the piano more temperature stable. Remember R.H. is affected by
temperature change.

At 04:54 PM 2/8/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I have always wondered if the D.C. Humidistat turns "off" or goes into a
>kind of "sleep mode", when the correct parameters of RH are achieved. Guess
>what/ It stays on 24/7, no matter WHAT the RH!

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.