Tips on finding leaking damper

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:40:21 -0500

On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 07:42 AM, Farrell wrote:

> OK. Now I have a leaking damper problem (middle C). Nice little Yamy
> P22. I've checked all the things below, everything seems A-OK (except
> the ringing of course). I fluffed up the felt a bit with a needle as a
> last resort - changed it a little, but no real improvement. I told the
> owner if it did not quiet down in a week or two on its own, we will
> change the felt on the offending damper when we tune the piano in a
> week or two. Does that sound like the best approach?

> 2. Check that the dampers move(follow) when you push on strings.

Another way to look at this: check the damper spoon timing when
depressing the key. Possibly more accurate than the "push the strings"
test.

> 3. Pluck each string to check for ringing.

I assume the mid C damper is flat. If not, a silk cord in the wedge may
help spread the wedges to improve damping.

I doubt anything will "quiet down in a week or two on its own". Plan on
visiting again with that new felt.

Happy damping,
Patrick Draine