Tips on finding leaking damper

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 07:42:42 -0500

OK. Now I have a leaking damper problem (middle C). Nice little Yamy P22. I've checked all the things below, everything seems A-OK (except the ringing of course). I fluffed up the felt a bit with a needle as a last resort - changed it a little, but no real improvement. I told the owner if it did not quiet down in a week or two on its own, we will change the felt on the offending damper when we tune the piano in a week or two. Does that sound like the best approach?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Ryan" <pryan2@the-beach.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 6:12 AM
Subject: Re: Tips on finding leaking damper

Thanks to all who responded to my post on leaking dampers.  The responses I received were very helpful and solved the problem.  I thought I would compile  them here for anyone who missed the original post.  Good Luck

Phil

1. Check the pedal rods that they are not too tight.
2. Check that the dampers move(follow) when you push on strings.
3. Pluck each string to check for ringing.
4. Check condition of damper springs.
5. Check that the action brackets are tight against the plate bolts.
6. Dampen the strings with finger or mute to find offending damper(s).
7. Check seating of action feet on action bracket.
8. Check seating of bottom portion  of damper felt on bichord strings.