Uncharted territory

Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:37:09 -0600

Friends,

At the tail end of this semester's bulk tunings, I went into a practice
room containing:

- Chickering Scale 106, ~1889, 6'4" Square tail.

There was some buzzing and I removed several paper clips - still buzzed. ;-{
What I discovered, when I went around to the rear, was a soundboard which
had finally given up the ghost.

The middle bridge (actually an offset extension of the long bridge to hold
6 wound trichords) had pulled up/rolled and the two sides of the chasm were
about 3mm difference in elevation.  The soundboard along a significant
section of the main bridge also showed signs of being rent asunder.

The thing tunes well, as the pins are still quite tight from my
rewhatevering in '85. (4-section pinblock -1 replaced/3 w/falconwood plugs)

I brought the dept head in to see my discoveries, and suggested we start
setting some shekels aside for a replacement.  I suggested a possibility of
donating my 5/8" Krakauer for a tax write-off and having the school foot
the parts bill for me to rebuild it on school time (giving myself job
security ??? ;-).

Dept head is also head piano prof who expressed an enjoyment of Chickerings
when they were Chickerings and wondered what could be done to save the carcass.

The short(?) list we came up with on the spur of the moment was:
-replace soundboard/bridges
-replace Edwin Brown action w/modern  - I think that this would also
necessitate new keys/frame/back action

A LOT of work and filled with possible cans of worms...

OTOH, the Krakauer has a great soundboard and a WN&G action.
It needs:

Both bridges recapped, pinblock, hammers, restringing/scaling, key/action
rebushing as necessary, etc. (Ivories are perfect)

and now the questions.........

Re: Chickering

I do not intend to make this my first/last soundboard/bridge replacement -
I don't have time, space or enough clamps for OJT soundboard work.  What
would be a broad ballpark $ for having this done elsewhere?

My gut feeling is that the keys/action/back action replacement would
probably present a whole case of worm cans.
Again, any $ ballpark for cost of new keys/frame/action/back action and
most likely variety of worms encountered in the retrofit?

Re: Krakauer

I asked bunches of questions a year ago when I first got the beastie, and
to replace the cracked square leg plates I've found that I can use the
round ones from ye olde Brambach by just routing out the square mortices.
(whew!)   I've not done bridge recapping, other than the top section of the
Chickering, but don't feel as intimidated as doing a s/b and/or action
replacement, plus I DO already have the tools I need.

Reply off-list if you wish, particularly if you quote wholesale prices.

Thanks.

Conrad
hoffsoco@luther.edu

Conrad Hoffsommer