close enough>??

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:34:58

Hi Conrad,

I guess drawing the line depends on where the end user wants the piano. If
it is for a home and RCT is being used then probably I'd do a single pass
and shedule another tuning for the near future--depending on the end
results in three months, one month, or one week. If the folks don't have
humidity control the next tuning would be "floated" to minize pitch
correction unless humidity is at an identical level--then it would be pitch
corrected in a single pass tuning--and the next service call would be
booked for three months.

If it were for a concert then I'd do three or four passes to get it stable
and settled. One pass in pitch correction mode--check results, 2nd pass
either in pitch correction mode or temperament mode, 3rd pass in
temperament mode. The last pass (3 or 4) would be almost always entirely be
done with my "wetware" tuner. I charge for each pass as a tuning, less a
small allowance for travel costs on additional passes.

The end cost to the client is essentially identical--just that the home
user gets to pay for it over 3 to 6 months--whereas the concert venue pays
for *all* of it at one fell swoop.

I do like the idea of charging by "time" rather than by "service"
particularly for concert venues. It makes waiting quite a distinct
pleasure, when the "clock" is running.