RPT test, top octave, was Re: Aural Octaves

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:10:05 -0600

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 12:11  PM, Charles Neuman wrote:

> What it says about the top octave is: "For purposes of this
> examination,
> do not stretch the high treble notes more than is necessary to get good
> clean sounding octaves all the way to the top."
>
> Does that really mean "2:1 octaves need to be beatless in the top
> octave"?
> I think in the class we were told something like, "Don't stretch it as
> much as you might like."

"Clean-sounding" does not mean exactly the same thing as "beatless".

General instructions for stretching will sometimes say, "Tune the
octave so that it is both stretched and still clean-sounding." In other
words, make the tests measure the octave as stretched, for example, the
10th faster than the 3rd in the M3rd-M10th test of the 4:2 octave, but
when you play the octave, the overall effect should still be clean,
with no obvious beating. There is a certain elasticity in octave-tuning
because the various coincident partials in a given octave will go
beatless in different places; for example, if the 2:1 is exactly
beatless, making the 4:2 narrow (depends on the location in the scale),
it is better to introduce some stretch (on the wide side) to get the
best overall clean-sounding effect. This is one of the reasons that
stretching is done, to get the most pleasing overall sound from the
composite effect of the various partial relationships present in an
octave. I digress.

The RPT tuning exam calls for clean sounding octaves in the high
treble, read that as clean _single_ octaves. This is simply for
consistency so that the reference tuning can be agreed upon in the
master tuning session, and so the exam can be scored fairly. On some
pianos, if you tune clean _double_ octaves or clean _triple_ octaves
the single octaves will go way wide. However, the variation from piano
to piano of the effect varies so greatly, for simplicity's sake they
decided to specify "clean-sounding" single octaves in the top octave.
It was arbitrary. I kind of wonder if the exam were being put together
today, if they might not specify clean-sounding _double_ octaves. But I
digress again.

The tolerances in the scoring of the top octave are such that the
examinee needn't worry _too_ much about getting exactly the right
amount stretch. I would be careful not to tune the top treble notes on
the narrow side of 2:1 octaves but a little stretch beyond pure 2:1
octaves (a couple cents worth) is _very_ unlikely to hurt your score.

Kent Swafford