Breaking strings on a new Kawai grand

Byron Quam byronquam@shaw.ca
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:52:49 -0800

I recently tuned a four-year-old Kawai GE3 and ended up replacing 13
broken strings  (26 unisons). I found out that the client has broken
twenty some strings since she bought the piano. She is a tiny (100 lbs)
third year performance piano University student that is studying under a
Russian instructor. The Russian instructor possibly explains the banging
technique that she has acquired. She told me that she has broken strings
on other pianos. All of the broken strings are in the high mid-treble
and low high-treble and broken at the capo bar and some of the replaced
strings have been broken.

I realize that this piano would probably not have any problems in 95
percent of the homes it would be placed in because the players would not
pound so. However I'm wondering:

1. Could it be a flaw in the piano design or construction?

2. If anything can be done to make these strings less susceptible to
breakage?

Any insight would be appreciated. These strings are covered by warranty
but the situation is not good because she has to practice on a piano
with missing strings or newly replaced (constantly going flat) strings.

Thanks

Byron Quam - piano tuning and repair

Vancouver BC