RPT test, top octave, was Re: Aural Octaves (Jim Coleman Sr)

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:06:16 -0700

Charles, that's what it says in the tuning exam source book; clean 2/1 =
octaves in the top octave.=20

    Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Charles Neuman=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 11:11 AM
  Subject: RPT test, top octave, was Re: Aural Octaves (Jim Coleman Sr)

  Just to be clear: Does it really specify that the the top octave has =
  make beatless 2:1 octaves?  Is this a new thing? If not, is it still =
true?

  The reason I ask is that I dug out my handout from the Convention =
about
  the RTP tuning test and it didn't say it quite so explicitly. It's not =
an
  official publication, but it was pretty specific about the =
requirements
  for the test.

  What it says about the top octave is: "For purposes of this =
examination,
  do not stretch the high treble notes more than is necessary to get =
good
  clean sounding octaves all the way to the top."

  Does that really mean "2:1 octaves need to be beatless in the top =
octave"?
  I think in the class we were told something like, "Don't stretch it as
  much as you might like."

  I just want to clear up my confusion.

  Thanks,

  Charles Neuman
  PTG Assoc, Long Island

  >     Charles, Jim is just making reference to the instructions for =
the =3D
  > RPT test which states that now matter how the technician normally =
tunes, =3D
  > on the test they want you to tune pure 2/1 octaves on the very top =
part =3D
  > of the piano. They just want you to prove that you can do it, that's =
=3D
  > all.=3D20
  >     Kevin E. Ramsey
  >   ----- Original Message -----=3D20