Turning down the plate screws to increase bearing

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:33:23 +1100

>I've got a S&S B that I believe may be suffering from insufficient
>bearing in the capo section.  How far can I safely turn down the
>plates bell bolt and plate screw in order to flex the plate downward
>in that area.
>

>David Love
><mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

David,

This will depend on the current setting of the plate. In some
instances the plate will have been pulled down at the time of
manufacture, and you can't be sure who's come along before you and
cranked it down a bit more.

A high profile Aussie technician actually cracked a D plate during
the seventies by doing just what you are considering. It would be
safer for you to recommend that the piano be pulled down and repaired
properly. Clients can turn a bit sour when good intentions go bad.
Furthermore, the piano has most likely got a sound board problem, in
which case little will be achieved by pulling the plate down.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers