Turning down the plate screws to increase bearing

Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:32:46 +0100

>> I've got a S&S B that I believe may be suffering from insufficient
>> bearing in the capo section.  How far can I safely turn down the
>> plates bell bolt and plate screw in order to flex the plate downward
>> in that area.

I would advise extreme caution personnally. The job of this device is
not to provide downbearing in the first place, and a review of some of
Del Fandrichs posts on this matter might be a good idea. Further the
plate is not exactly at its strongest in this area and will crack easily
enough if stressed too much. That stress might marginal in such a
fashion as to not show itslef until the first time someone flips the
piano on its side for moving... a slight jar and a borderline stress
condition and bang !!...

If you dont know exactly how to set these kinds of adjustsments, it
seems best to me to just leave them alone. I have heard two methods for
adjusting these. One is finger tight and then 1 full turn. The other is
"until you get a slight increase in sustain".  Tho.. to be frank the
second one strikes me as vague and risky

JMV

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.