Breaking strings on a new Kawai grand

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:19:21 -0800

MessageI suspect she is just beating the snot out of the piano.  IF... =
if, if, if- you can get away with it and she doesn't complain, you might =
try substantially reducing let-off.  This would take power out of the =
hammer blow reducing the likelihood of broken strings.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV
  I recently tuned a four-year-old Kawai GE3 and ended up replacing 13 =
broken strings  (26 unisons). I found out that the client has broken =
twenty some strings since she bought the piano. She is a tiny (100 lbs) =
third year performance piano University student that is studying under a =
Russian instructor. The Russian instructor possibly explains the banging =
technique that she has acquired. She told me that she has broken strings =
on other pianos.