Breaking strings on a new Kawai grand

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:52:05 -0600

MessageHmmmm .... maybe give the lady more let-off, like 3/16".
=20
Or will that just make her wang it harder?

You mentioned a warranty: Have you called Kawai for advice? They'd like =
to stop the carnage, too.=20

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Byron Quam=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 2:52 PM
  Subject: Breaking strings on a new Kawai grand

  I recently tuned a four-year-old Kawai GE3 and ended up replacing 13 =
broken strings  (26 unisons). I found out that the client has broken =
twenty some strings since she bought the piano. She is a tiny (100 lbs) =
third year performance piano University student that is studying under a =
Russian instructor. The Russian instructor possibly explains the banging =
technique that she has acquired. She told me that she has broken strings =
on other pianos. All of the broken strings are in the high mid-treble =
and low high-treble and broken at the capo bar and some of the replaced =
strings have been broken.

  =20

  I realize that this piano would probably not have any problems in 95 =
percent of the homes it would be placed in because the players would not =
pound so. However I'm wondering:

  =20

  1. Could it be a flaw in the piano design or construction?

  =20

  2. If anything can be done to make these strings less susceptible to =
breakage?

  =20

  Any insight would be appreciated. These strings are covered by =
warranty but the situation is not good because she has to practice on a =
piano with missing strings or newly replaced (constantly going flat) =
strings.

  =20

  Thanks

  =20