Plate Finishing Question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:50:13 -0800

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the plate Gilding/finish to
remain more elastic? I have a local, excellent finisher do my plates,
(custom color, etc.), and the biggest problem is the finish chipping if you
touch any kind of a metal tool to it!!!!! Yikes! :-( I have tried getting
the plate to my shop, within 24 hours of the plate being shot. This will
work for a few days and then the chipping problem starts!
I thought it might be the fact that the new finish was shot over a
"prepared" olde finish, so....I stripped this last plate right down to bare
metal. Did a filler type primer, then a standard primer and delivered it the
next day. It was shot within a week. When the derned thing chips, it goes
down to all that nice primer I put on. So, my assumption is, that the top
gilt finish, plus the clear coats, are not adhering to the primer/plate.
Any thoughts? (of course there are<G> hehe)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)