Non-toxic finish products

Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:25:04 -0500

Hi Craig -

As has been mentioned, there are many water-based finishing materials
available these days that offer a much lower VOC content than the
solvent-based ones, and as such, are much safer.  As well, they are much
more pleasant to share the same shop space with.  Brushing them, however,
requires a little practice and re-training.  I suggest you visit Jeff
Jewitt's website at www.homesteadfinishing.com to check out his product
line as well as the wealth of technical information available there.  I
know of a couple finishers who have have good success brushing on the
Oxford Hybrid Varnish (I think that's the name).  It is sprayable, too,
but I got the impression you are brushing?  A couple of my customers have
achieved surprisingly good results brushing a water-based finish from
Rockler (the Woodworker's Store) made by General Finishes.  I have always
thought of it as a DIY kind of finish for the Sunday warrior, but good
results can certainly be had.  You might also check out
www.aquacoatsupply.com  as a quality supplier, as well as the Fuhr line
of finishes (www.fuhrinternational.com?)

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com