Damper Felt

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:48:19 -0700

Hi,
Perhaps a check of string level at the point that the damper touches the =
string will show that there needs to be some adjustment to the string =
and not the damper.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 7:55 AM
  Subject: Re: Damper Felt

  In a message dated 2/2/03 11:53:07 PM Central Standard Time, =
tune4u@earthlink.net writes:

    Steck grand (Chinese built). Trichord dampers don't seat very well =
and one string rings-on a little in several unisons despite my tweaking, =
felt squeezing, and praying.
     =20

    Any other suggestions, tips, or ideas to make sure I can satisfy =
this good but fussy customer?
     =20
    THANK YOU!
     =20
    Alan Barnard
    Singing String Squelching in Salem, MO

  Alan

  The problem might not be with the felts, or how you put them on. I've =
run across this in the past. The problem is there is not enough weight =
on the damper lever to pull the damper down on the string to stop the =
vibrations. The only solution is to add weight to the damper lever. If =
there is room on the lever to add a key weight, then that is the easiest =
solution. If there are already too many weights in there. the only other =
way I can think of is to add a fishing weight tot he damper wire.=20

  Anyone else with a better idea?

  Wim=20