Damper Felt

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:55:20 EST

In a message dated 2/2/03 11:53:07 PM Central Standard Time,
tune4u@earthlink.net writes:

> Steck grand (Chinese built). Trichord dampers don't seat very well and one
> string rings-on a little in several unisons despite my tweaking, felt
> squeezing, and praying.
>

> Any other suggestions, tips, or ideas to make sure I can satisfy this good
> but fussy customer?
>
> THANK YOU!
>
> Alan Barnard
>  Singing String Squelching in Salem, MO

Alan

The problem might not be with the felts, or how you put them on. I've run
across this in the past. The problem is there is not enough weight on the
damper lever to pull the damper down on the string to stop the vibrations.
The only solution is to add weight to the damper lever. If there is room on
the lever to add a key weight, then that is the easiest solution. If there
are already too many weights in there. the only other way I can think of is
to add a fishing weight tot he damper wire.

Anyone else with a better idea?

Wim