The Opposite! was Re: Aid for short people

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:41:17 -0500

--=====================_93319359==.ALT
Kevin, Alan and list,
         I have a bad back and was told that i would need surgery to do
anything with it although the only thing that an x-ray showed was a bulging
disk.  I've since found out that most people have the "bulge" and are
blissfully unaware of it. I have been without any major discomfort for
about a year and a half now. While I don't do any abdominal exercises (I
know I should) I don't discount that they could help immensely. What I have
done and continue to do with great success is simply to watch my posture.
We all get a little lazy in this area and some more than others. It was
shown to me that I needed to make a concentrated effort to keep that lower
spine "tucked in" and above the pelvis. I strongly encourage everyone to
make a habit of good posture. This kind of goes hand in hand with the many
posts over the years of good body mechanics to avoid tuning pain. Same
thing! Good posture also insures the added benefit of good blood supply to
all the organs in the body helping them to stay healthy too!

Dr. Greg Newell

P.S. O.K. I'm not really a doctor.

At 09:33 PM 2/1/2003, you wrote:

>You want your back to stop hurting?  It's bad news, Alan; build up your
>abdominals. (More sittups, crunches, etc.)  The reason so many people have
>bad backs, is because their "front" muscles are out of balance with their
>"back" muscles. Either that, or scoot your bench around and tune sitting
>down. Sorry, but that's how I seez it.
>     Kevin E. Ramsey

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net