slipping becket?

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Sat, 01 Feb 2003 20:38:31 -0600

Hi Paul,

At 10:58 PM 01/31/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi members
>Tuned a Kawai RX 6 today. Beautiful!; but the string on E5 would slip out of
>tune--go flat from repeated forte blows.  It's the only note to do it.
>Everything looks fine.  I suspect maybe the becket is moving out of the
>tuning pin?!?  Any one ever encounter this?

Oh yes! When I first came to the university, I had a Hamburg 'D' that had a
few notes that would NOT stay in tune. The piano teachers had taken to
bringing their tuning hammers with them to touch them up as needed. It
took me a while to figure it out because I'd never had that happen. But
one day when I was replacing a broken string in that area, I just happened
to be looking down at one of those pins and noticed that the becket was
rounded coming out of a pin where my predecessor had replaced a string!
Voila! The light bulb finally went off. I replaced all of the problem ones and
never had any more problems. The pianists LOVED me! :-)

>Paul Chick

Avery