Spam

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:49:09 -0700

>Bill Ballard --
>In fact it was responsible for ruining my 18-month-old PTech folder
>(Eudora). It seemed that the screen draw required to view it was too much
>for Eudora, and it quit twice, mashing the directory for the mailbox. I
>quickly learned to delete them before the preview window could get started
>displaying them.

I think that the Preview Window was an invention of the devil <tongue in
cheek, but not very far>

As soon as I saw it, I rushed to figured out how to disable it. Its evils:

   (1) it further fragments an already fragmented screen, so even less text
is presented without scrolling down.
   (2) as noted, it slows downloads
   (3) as noted, it can seize a system and is hard to delete
and, worst of all, (4) it can open posts containing viruses and trojans,
automatically.

One of the more frustrating aspects of computing today is that so many
programs offer upgrades which, to my mind, are really downgrades ... more
elaborate, more fussy, less secure ... and sometimes they don't even work
as well as the more primitive programs they are intended to replace. One
can't tell this until the upgrade is complete, and by that time, it's too late.

I particularly dislike programs which hide their "phone home" activity, and
go haring off to Microsoft or whoever, JUST IN CASE an upgrade has come
along for them to fetch. I didn't even know this was happening till I
installed Zone Alarm, and then found that MsWorks wanted to take a trip to
Seattle several times an hour! I don't feel that a spreadsheet or data base
or word processor has any need for parental companionship.

JMO.

Susan