Spam

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:49:56 -0400

At 11:28 AM -0700 9/25/02, David Ilvedson wrote:
>I keep getting, as you all do, spam from China with all the odd
>characters in the Subject line.  I am wondering why PTG's system
>can't filter it out?  It is all the same!  When I right click on it
>and try to delete it, it says it needs to download a something from
>Windows.  This locking up my system and I can't delete it.  Yes I
>have virus protection...

I see less of them now, possibly because it got flagged by my ISP's
spam filter ("SPAM: UCE Score: 7.2 hits, 5 required") to many times,
and they were able to filter the source. But I used to get 2-3 a day
from PTech,

In fact it was responsible for ruining my 18-month-old PTech folder
(Eudora). It seemed that the screen draw required to view it was too
much for Eudora, and it quit twice, mashing the directory for the
mailbox. I quickly learned to delete them before the preview window
could get started displaying them.

I always assumed that Andy was doing all that he could, and it
wouldn't surprise me if his recent step up to modern
hardware/sortware included much more robust spam detectors.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Blessed are the cynical,
		for they hath made backups."