How long (capo dressing)

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:54:58 -0500

At 07:03 AM 9/25/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I have always associated this task with something to do during rebuilding.
>Exactly what is the range of symptoms would one be observing to lead one
>to contemplate this task independent of rebuilding?
>
>Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,
                 A frequent practice on concert instruments.
  University pianos, I often install new hammers and just string the
treble, at which time the capo is cleaned up.
In a perfect world the whole piano would be re strung, but you do what you
have to do with the budget.
  Dressing the bar on isolated notes, when doing a major voicing job, is
also quite frequently done.
  If the bar is badly grooved, and that's where the problem is, trying to
voice the problem away will just deaden the note.
Regards Roger