How long (capo dressing)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:53:57 +0200

On this particular grand (mod B Hamburg 1979). treble tone is
constrained, lack power, while the soundboard is at evidence in very
good condition (hopefully at this age)

But principal concern of the pianist is way too much breaking strings
since the repair.

He plays strong, and the hammers were replaced by standard Renner
hammers so the shape is not thin enough.
A precedent intoner (?) had a good abuse of key top/acetone solution
on the crown.

It is difficult to ascertain what is the most responsible for breaking
strings, but, while changing some unisons, I filed the capo on these
and obtained twice more sound, fuller, with much more levels of tone.

The capo have been shoe shined or filed ? by the tech that installed
new strings/tuning pins on site,  the shape is a large radius round,
almost flat, and too large string grooves yet. I guess the capo where
not yet hardened on Steinways at this time, as they are actually, may
be since 1994 (?) or 1984(?).

Isaac O.