Broken plates was Grand Treble Bell

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:49:51 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 24, 2002 6:48 AM
  Subject: Broken plates was Grand Treble Bell

  In a message dated 9/22/2002 11:26:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =

    Subj:Re: [pianotech] Grand Treble Bell=20
    Date:9/22/2002 11:26:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    From:pianobuilders@olynet.com
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

              Del and list

                  While following this thread all this talk of broken =
plates ,I just wondered how many have ever encountered a broken plate in =
a Steinway or If you'll admit to  breaking a plate by adjusting any of =
the nose bolts or bell bolts. ANy body willing to fess up?
             Dale

I've not done it but I have encountered one Model D with a nice crack =
radiating out on two sides from the bolt hole. Since the bolt was pretty =
tight I assumed the crack had started as a result of overtightening, =
though I suppose I couldn't really prove it. The owner didn't know when =
it had happened--the piano was purchased used for a rather good price.=20

As I've pointed out in the past, neither the bell nor the bolt are =
structural and there's not a lot of stress on the plate panel from the =
strings in this area so I told the client not to worry about it unless =
it grew. I backed it off to my normal finger tight plus one. So far as I =
know it has not grown any further--but I've not seen the piano is some =
years.

Del