Importance of the staple

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:47:33 +0200

Hello,

On the sheet for ordering hammers at Renner's, choice is given between
"passing thru staples", simple staples and no staple.

The way the staple acts when the base is needled is that it retain the
external layers of felt.
If you look closely at the glue joint at the base of the hammer, you
will see that the staple does not pass thru all the layers, but mostly
the external ones.

Then when you rob the tension remaining in the underside it goes
higher, reinforcing the hammer from the inside, and the external part
stays more in place because of the staple.
If there where none, all the felt would move towards the higher
regions, and loose resilience.

May be that is why it is written , for example in Reblitz, "Never
needle in this area".

Second , the few US pianos I've seen did not use the power from below
in their voicing process, so all is happening in the higher regions
(Baldwin, S&S,). Then the tone is more straight, and less lively , the
power is given immediately since the attack, so less colorations of
tone are possible.

The soundboards too where more fast in their reaction, with a less
long time for amortissment (my impression).

Anyway, I don't believe in marketing at this point.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG