hammer felt (Renner Blues)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 00:33:13 +0200

David
The one I had did not really respond to voicing in the shoulders, as being
too mushy there. May be with a few deep stitches from the start it could
gain some more active resilience.
As it was the tension was almost none, but very nice felt indeed.

Renner use this felt since a few years, and I believe actually on all their
hammers. The problem they have is that the molding they buy (I understand
that they don't do that themselves) are more stiffer than before, and they
don't like to make hammers with that sharp wooden molding as in some
Steinway, Bechstein, etc.

I suspect that the Wurzen Felt, being softer, is more prone to be damaged if
forced on a sharp molding. Beside, of course they would hate to break the
moldings in the gluing process, and that is more the case with thin moldings
of course.
Nowadays, All actual hammers, for Steinways, and other makes, are generally
thicker wood, and this felt that techs are often wondering how to treat.

But of course "nothing never changed " will be told you if you ask.

I had to needle a C1 hammer (on a Yamaha G2) , and indeed 30 stitches was
the maximum in the medium (for first voicing), a bit too much near the
break. In the treble I begin to voice at 9:30, but finally was obliged to go
back from the low regions, as the strength was not enough.

I will see that again after a bit of playing, I guess the natural sound of
this felt is enough as it is, not really crisp, mellow and round but
forcefully enough.
It will be clearer in time, but not at all as the tone of the old Yamaha
hammers, so metallic, I for sure like it better (and C1 C2 hammer assembly
for Yamahas are cheap (around $430).

Regards and good Sunday

Isaac OLEG